Is therapy for me?
Choosing to come to therapy is a very personal decision. Some things to consider when making this decision may include whether you are having difficulty with sadness, hopelessness, feeling overwhelmed, excessive worry, relationship difficulties, or difficult life transitions. In addition some people come to therapy to gain greater insight and understanding of their life.
Does a Marriage & Family Therapist (MFT) work with individuals also?
Yes. In California, an MFT is a mental health practitioner who has a Master's Degree and at least two years or 3,000 hours of clinical experience supervised by a licensed MFT. An MFT has 3,000 hours of experience and has passed two state tests to become licensed.
Will you work with my psychiatrist?
Some clients also have a psychiatrist who manages their medications. Once the client signs a Release of Information I can be in contact with the psychiatrist as needed.
Are sessions confidential?
Yes, sessions are confidential with some exceptions. My forms include this information. As a mandated reporter some of the instances I must report include:
- All instances of child abuse
- All instances of elder abuse
- If someone is a danger to their self or threatens to harm their self
- If someone threatens to harm another specific person
What should I ask my insurance company?
- Do I have mental health insurance benefits?
- What is my deductible and has it been met?
- Do I have a co-pay and how much is it?
- How many sessions per year does my health insurance cover?
- What is the coverage amount per therapy session?
- Is approval required from my primary care physician?
What does out-of-network mean?
Out-of-network means that your insurance company will reimburse sessions to either the client or the clinician even though they are not part of the insurance company's network.
What is a SuperBill?
A SuperBill is a receipt for services that I can provide you that has all of the information you need to obtain reimbursement from your insurance company if I am an out-of-network provider.